Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dictionary Floral

Over a year ago I found myself at on of our town libraries at the used book shop and I picked up an old dictionary. It was partly damaged but it was fine for my purposes. I trimmed the pages to use in my card making. You can see it here in this card. There are two considerations if this is something you'd like to do. First, make sure the paper is fairly heavy, in this old book the paper was quite thin and is therefore harder to work with. Second, be sure to choose a book with a fairly small print since you're likely to be using small pieces if the font is too large it won't give you the effect of 'text' and may start to compete with the rest of your design.



Image Stamps — Petal Prints & Watercolor Garden by Stampin Up (Retired)
Sentiment Stamp by Stampendous

It's a great choice for masculine designs and I think this might be the first time I've ever used it with a floral in this way but I like the effect. I am almost completely out of the pages and plan to work on finding a replacement soon. 

Happy Crafting!
signature

3 comments:

Julie said...

Love this look, Paula! I have an old paperback that had a damaged cover that I use in the same way. The paper is fragile so I frequently mount it to thin cardstock before using it on a card.

helloholley said...

Hey Paula!
What a gorgeous card! I had this stamp set at one time too....now you made me miss it, ha! Also, try some thrift stores and places like Goodwill to find books you can repurpose like this for real cheap.....gotta love cheap, LOL!!!

Inky hugs,
Holley

PS. thanks for visiting my blog too and good luck! ;)

Dixie Cochran said...

I love the stamping on the text paper! That's a great set for this technique too. Your old dictionary was a great find. I picked up an old book in Germany for using on cards, and I have no idea what it says!

When I figure out how to send cut files via email, I'll send the poinsettia to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...