Thursday, August 8, 2013

It's Completely Collagical - Tuesday Trigger

My card share today was made for the current Tuesday Trigger at the Moxie Fab World blog. There is so much to be discovered in the trigger image that it really takes a little studying. When I looked it here's what stood out to me: stamps, butterflies, buttons, flowers, blue, pinks, tan and ivory. I knew I wanted to make postage stamps a major part of my design and I also wanted to create a card that like this image, would keep the viewer lingering as they discovered lots of little things to see.


Image Credit
I used the MFT Postage Stamp Stax to cut some various stamps and then started off on a bit of a treasure hunt for papers that would have some small elements that could be cropped into appropriate sizes while remaining a complete enough image to be recognizable. It took quite a bit of time but I was ultimately pleased with what I was able to find in my collection of papers and the whole process was fun. It was like being on a treasure hunt.

With the stamps made, it came time to find some butterflies. Now I don't have a craft room full of supplies but I thought for sure somewhere, on some piece of paper or in some small ziplock I surely had to have some butterflies that would work. Alas, not a one! Time to put Plan B into action and go hybrid. My years as a graphic designer have allowed me to amass a big clipart/stock image collection and since I have the ability to do it easily I'll often find myself taking this route when I have something very specific in mind.


After a little photoshop work to change the color (this butterfly image was originally yellow and black) to a blue I printed out a couple of butterflies in various sizes on my inkjet printer.  The print outs were a little dull and I thought I'd like to add a bit of shine. Instead of using Glossy Accents (it would be a mess for me and take days to dry in such a large area) I applied a piece of clear packing tape over them and burnished it down well before I did my fussy cutting. Both the butterflies and the white edges of the stamps (which were cut from a glossy Kromecote stock) add an extra dimension of shine to the finished card.

I spent a couple of hours making on this card, which is by far longer than I've spent on any card in recent memory but ultimately I feel I achieved what I had set out to do and totally love the result.

Happy Crafting!
signature


SUPPLIES USED: 
STAMPS: Sentiment (Unknown)
INKS: Hot Fudge (My Favorite Things)
PAPER: Childish Things (Fancy Pants), Follow Your Heart (My Minds Eye), Attic Boutique (Stampin Up), Recollections Solids (Michael's)
DIES: Postage Stamp Stax (MFT)
COLORING MEDIUM: 
OTHER: Paper String (Tim Holtz), Buttons (my stash), Butterfly Image (my image collection)
BASICS: Click HERE to check out my crafting tool bag.

17 comments:

Penny Ward said...

Truly magnificent!!!! You took the Trigger literal and it is a masterpiece. You really do have to study the card to make sure you have seen everything!

Unknown said...

wow Paula it all came together so well. It's busy but it has a definite focal point. The tape on the butterflies...perfect, I'll need to remember that, not only does it give them a shine it makes them less apt to tear. Wonderful card.

Michele Kovack said...

This is stunning! Love the pops of blue and yellow!

Cindy O said...

It's really lovely with all the details working together. I like the crisp white stamp edges to frame and set off the many different images.

Linda said...

WTG! Thanks for the share!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Great job of fitting in so many elements of the inspiration - I love the way you've put it together!

Tami B. said...

Beautiful card and an "aha" moment to go with it. Love the idea of the packing tape in place of Glossy Accents-thanks.

Lin said...

Beautifully done, Paula - love your collage! And I love your adventure making it!

Tammy Nyenhuis said...

Oh, I really love your card. The colors and the little stamp pieces. Love those butterflies in blue! Great card!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Paula! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

LauraJane:) said...

BEAUTIFUL! Congrats on the MOXIE FAB WIN!

Paper and Ribbons said...

Paula, your card is absolutely beautiful. It really does lead your eye in to all the small details and the butterflies are such an nice pop of colour, I must admit your stamps are my favourite part!

Anonymous said...

You are truly moxie fab. Another great submission on this Tuesday Trigger!

Unknown said...

Paula, your card is amazing! I couldn't stop looking at it. The details are stunning and the whole card is composed perfectly! A well deserved Moxie Fab win!

Gayle Wheeler said...

All that work paid off! Gorgeous card and another winner!!

Leni said...

Fun!

Trish said...

Packing Tap.,What an aha moment! I love this tip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...