Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sometimes It Feels Like Work

I haven't created a single card in the past two weeks. This isn't the first time that's happened and sometimes the reasons are obvious... holidays or others things that must be done, but sometimes the reasons are harder to pin down. This has been one of those 'other' times. I know for me the ritual of unpacking and setting up to craft (I don't have a dedicated craft space where things can be left out) is often the biggest hurdle. Mind you in reality it doesn't take much more than 10-15 minutes to set up so it's more of a mental than physical hurdle.

These are a couple of cards that made it into the last box of cards I sent to OWH in March. I stamp my card bases in advance and  I usually take photos at the end of a crafting session. Then I'll tuck them into their envelope and put them into the  shipping box, sorting them as I go, so that when the box is full all the work is done and it's a matter of adding a couple Any Hero notes, a shipping donation, my packing slip and sending them on their way.






Crafting is normally a great stress reliever for me but sometimes it's hard to get past the stress of everyday life and instead of being pleasurable it feels like I am forcing myself to do it and then it starts to feel like work. Most of the time when I find myself at this kind of juncture I turn to sorting through and organizing supplies or I try to spend some time coloring images. Though my day job as a graphic designer sometimes 'forces' me to create, when it comes to a hobby I think forcing yourself is probably counter-productive in most cases. So for now I'm gonna just hope that some time soon I feel like crafting again.

signature

5 comments:

Linda said...

It will come back...relax... Two grat cards!

Lynn said...

I underdstand how sometimes it feels a little more like work than we would want it to. No matter that the cause is worthwhile. I have a table that I can leave up and even then it can get challenging. I think after I've made over 1600 cards sometimes I wonder if I have just one more idea in my head. Shuffling and cleaning up sometimes triggers an idea but if it doesn't then those nights are made for cutting bases and making sure some of the supplies are ready for when the ideas do come. Your cards are always wonderful and these 2 are no exception! I know your efforts are appreciated.

Cindy O said...

Sometimes I think it's just time for a break! I've found that when creating feels like work to me, I'm not as happy with the process or the results. Other times though, I can ease my way into it with some CASEing or organizing as Lynn mentioned. Hope your creative energies will be flowing again soon, and meanwhile, enjoy the break time.

Renee said...

I know what you mean Paula! I haven't done much and I feel like I need a break. It happens but its ok.

StampTramps said...

I have times when I can't get myself to make a card too. It's a mind game with me, I feel a lot of guilt because I set a goal for myself this year and it's hard to force myself to create something and then have it be good to boot. I've found Pinterest and small blog hops to be quite helpful in lighting a spark for me again. I know you'll get over the hump soon. Keep on organizing and maybe there will be one of those ahah moments where you find something you haven't seen in a while and know exactly what you want to do with it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...