Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Love The Here and Now

I'm joining in again on one of my favorite challenges, the weekly Wednesday Stamp Club Sketch Challenge at my Favorite Things. I have a tendency to normally just use a sketch in its original format but within just a few minutes of starting on this card and playing with the layout I decided I would flip it and create a horizontal design. 


In looking at the sketch I thought I would need either need to adjust the position of the focal point panel to achieve a better balance, by moving it the left, or figure out what I could use  to fill the space to the left without it fighting the focal point and decided that a group of flags would do nicely.


One of the other current challenges I have on my list of ones I wanted to to to tackle is the Moxie Fab Mixy-Matchy Style Challenge. There are definitely a lot of patterns in this design and if not done carefully mixing pattern can result in a chaotic design. I first learned some of the tricks of mixing patterns in the years I work for Macy's New York. I spent a number of years in the Domestics Department for the Visual Display Team and  though it seems to be trending again it's something that has been done in the home decor and textile industry for many years. If you want to try it, but feel intimidated consider the simple approach I used in this card and work with patterns from one paper pad. While you'll still need to do some picking and choosing (you'll want to  have contrast, variation and repetition in your choices) the papers are coordinated by default and that will help. With the exception of the small floral on the button these papers are all part of the 'French Country' paper pad by Graphics 45.

Happy Crafting!
signature


SUPPLIES USED: 
STAMPS: Chalkboard Greetings (My Favorite Things)
PAPER: Accent Opaque Smooth 80# White, French Country (Graphics 45), Print Poetry (Stampin Up)
INKS: Kraft (My Favorite Things)
DIES: Fishtail Flag Stax, Blueprints 1 - Button & Well Worn Greetings Coordinate Dies (My Favorite Things)
OTHER: Gardeners Twine, Colorbox Chalk Ink Creamy Brown (inked edges)
BASICS: BASICS: Click HERE to check out my crafting tool bag.

3 comments:

Kim M said...

This is a wonderful card, Paula! Congrats on your top 3 win at Red Carpet Studio!! :-)

Linda said...

This is stunning...it has that down home cozy country feel!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Paula! Thanks for linking this up to the Mixy-Matchy Style Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...