Saturday, October 12, 2013

Radial Balance - OWH Design Bootcamp

Hello friends! As most of you probably know I've been teaching a Design Bootcamp over at the Operation Write Home Stars & Stamps blog this year. It's been a great experience for me to go back and revisit the Principles & Elements of design that I learned long ago and find a way to share them with the wide range of card makers, from beginners to the experienced, who make up the OWH family. The next Design Bootcamp class will post on Monday, October 14th and we'll be discussing the principle of Balance.

Papers from the Boy Scout Pack (K&Co.) • Oval Die (Spellbinders) • Sentiment (Hero Arts)
As some of you know, because I've asked for permission to use your cards, I've been using cards made by OWHers for class samples. When it came to finding samples for this class I was able to find quite a few that used either Symmetrical or Asymmetrical Balance but was having a much harder time finding a sample of Radial Balance, so I opted to just make one myself, and that is this card that I'm sharing with you today.

This design is very similar to this Starburst technique (which by the way is just one of the many fantastic tutorials that you can find here at the OWH site) but instead of radiating from the side or bottom it  goes all the way around a center focal point. You will need to adjust the pieces a bit but it's a forgiving design and as you can see in mine you can be a bit off on a piece or two and still achieve the effect. If you want to learn more about Symmetry, Asymmetry and Radial Balance check out the Bootcamp on Monday. 

Happy Crafting!
signature

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like that...it's a fun card and a great use for all those scraps..I believe I could make 100 cards using nothing but scraps.

Unknown said...

Really fun card, love the bright colors. A big thank you for the the great inspiration, challenging us to grow in our card designs!

Lara said...

This design makes such a statement. Love the bright colors. Thanks for doing the Bootcamp classes. I love learning more about good design.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...