Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Polka Dot Party at CAS-ual Fridays

The challenge over at CAS-ual Fridays this week is to use Polka Dots. Designing CAS (clean and simple) cards is something that many aspire to be able to do well. Rooted, no doubt, in the Minimalism movement in visual arts that developed post WWII and in America in the 1960s and early 70s. The theory is that you eliminate all non-essential items and the result being a design that contains the fewest and simplest elements necessary to achieve the maximum effect.


I often rely on my formal design training when I work on CAS cards using a basic approach that I was taught of removing elements. Essentially you create your design. Each time you decide to add an elements you pause and ask yourself if adding that particular element is necessary and adds to the design. Usually the last element is the breaking point and being able to identify it and know that in fact it's superfluous is the key to success.


Now, I'm not always successful and it takes a lot of practice but it's always a challenge and always fun to try.

Happy Crafting!
signature


SUPPLIES USED (CARD #1): 
STAMPS: Cheerful Blessings (My Favorite Things)
PAPER: Dots - Follow Your Heart (My Minds Eye), Solids (My Favorite Things)
INKS: Onyx Black (Versafine)
DIES:Accents-n-Feathers (My Favorite Things)
OTHER: Enamel Accents- White (Ranger)
BASICS: Click HERE to check out my crafting tool bag.

SUPPLIES USED (CARD #2): 
STAMPS: Sentiment (my own custom stamp set)
PAPER: Accent Opaque 80# Ivory, Safari Chic Mat Stack (DCWV)
INKS: Onyx Black (Versafine)
DIES: Accents-n-Feathers, Peekaboo Dots & FIshtail Flag Stax (My Favorite Things)
OTHER: Antique Copper Brad

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like those feathers...what a different and eye catching feature.

Dixie Cochran said...

You nailed the clean and simple, Paula, on these cards. Like you, I have to work at it. Thanks for the great explanation too.

Laura Williams said...

I love those feathers!!!!! Super cool! :) I realllllly love the colors on the first card!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...